Almost a year

It’s been almost a full year since my last post and I can’t say I’m surprised.

2013 was the year of ideas. Most of which were never touched, some were started and left to sit, and only one I can think of that was actually finished – an entertainment center for our new T.V – something that had to be completed in order for us to enjoy our new investment.

This year, however, is going to be the year of creation. I know it has been said before, even in this blog, but I’ve made a deal with The Husband that I can not purchase any more camera related equipment until I finish my list of to-do’s. That being said, I’ve run head first into my first project of the year; something that I had started years ago which has been itching to get finished.

When I last left off on building my Anemometer, the issues I was running into were with the creation of the stator and rotor – the physical bits and pieces that rotate around-and-around to measure the speed of the wind. Not too long ago, I started thinking about the project again and began researching my options.

Enter the wonderful world of 3D printing!

A fantastic website has popped up during my hiatus from the project – Shapeways. All you need to do is create a 3D model of whatever you want, while sticking within their design guidelines, upload the 3D model to your gallery, and click ‘Buy Now.’ In about 10 days time, you have a real, tangible version of an idea you have, or have had for years. This is the first iteration of the design. There are a few flaws, which is to be expected when you’re first designing for 3D printing and you neglect to wait a few days until you can take measurements for proper sizing.

Since I received this piece, I’ve made modifications to the design and have ordered new parts. They should be here by the end of next week. Once that gets in, I can start working on the Arduino code to measure the wind speed. After I get that taken care of, I’m going to work on a Python program to graph the data, both from stored data on an SD card and live data via a USB cable connected to the Arduino.

First iteration of the Anemometer.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: